Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rio Dulce, Guatemala: Today is Tuesday, I think. You really do lose track of days out here. I´m still at the orphanage, and loving it. As I explained before, I don´t stay at the orphanage, but I take a boat to the orphanage at 7:30 in the morning.

I get to the orphanage around 8, and head to the library, where I work as the proctor. Basiscally just make sure everyone is on task and reading a book at their appropriate reading level. The kids are pretty good about coming in, grabbing a book, and sitting down to read. Discipline problems are very limited.

The kids are extremely courteous, and never disrespectful. Although some do get tired of reading for an hour and start walking around, but I guess that´s normal. I know a number of adults who can´t read for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Weekends at the orphanage are great, because all we do is play. Last weekend we set up a slip and slide for the young boys, which they loved, and went fishing the next day. The kids are very brilliant and resourceful, and can fish with a piece of string, a hook, and a homemade weight. If they can find a worm, they´ll use it, if not, a small piece of tortilla does the trick. They caught about ten fish in an hour. These are 5,6,7 and 8 year olds.

The volunteers, both long term and short term, like myself, are really great. I spent the last week hanging out with two folks from Australia, John and Josie, and a young guy from Scotland named Leeman.

I´m sharing a dorm room two other girls, one from Spain, and the other from Phoeniz, AZ. Both very cool, and fun to hang out with. The one from Phoenix may even join me on my trip to Antigua. That´s on Thursday.

Thursday is my last day, and as these trips always go, it´s felt as if its flown by. I have not yet had the opportunity to sit down with the president and ask her questions about the creation and development of the orphanage and hostel, but I will definitely make time for that between now and Thursday. They are doing an amazing job here.

I´m feeling a little under the weather today, and I felt the same yesterday. I´m sure i´ll be fine.

Hope everything is well back home. As far as pictures, still no memory chip, and i´m afraid that any attempts to mail one here will be unsuccessful. I´ll try to buy one in Antigua.

Love you all,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment