Friday, June 19, 2009

Rio Dulce, Guatemala: This time it was closer to the real thing! I told you the other day about a kid who threatened my life, but his gun was his fingers. This time the gun was real, well real fake, allegedly. I arrived in Rio Dulce today, checked in to the Hotel Backpackers, and went to the center of town to look for a new chip for my camera.

No luck finding a chip, so I decided to grab a bite to eat. Was eating at a river side restaurant, when a crazy looking guy came by with a gun in his pants. He was waering sweats, and showing it off. I tried to ignore him, but it was clear he was crazy. He proceeded to disrobe and bath in the river. He got out got dressed, and saw me.

He starts yelling at me, something about Americanos, and nothing positive. And something else about ¨tengo un pistola¨. I´ll be honest, I was nervous. It was a restaurant with a bar, so I went up to a group of locals standing near the bar to try to blend in. The crazy guy clearly saw me and did not like me. And made it clear he had a gun. I started asking aimless questions, and the waitress kindly let me know that she did not understand a word I was saying. I let her know, in perfect spanish, that the reason I was over there was because this crazy man has a gun, and is yelling at me. I didn´t know what to do.

¨Don´t worry,¨ she says. Apparently he´s the town looney, and the gun is fake.

What a relief. But I was still uneasy. Where are the cops, I demanded.

Cops? That idea seemed foreign to her. Let´s just say i´m not in the U.S. anymore. Things are certainly different here. But a few minutes later I was back roaming the streets.

Hotel Backpackers is on the other side of the bridge from the center of town. Look it up on youtube, and look up Casa Guatemala. I may have to wait til I get to a big town to buy a new memory chip for my camera. Until then, no pictures.

Accomodations here are nice. The staff is friendly, mostly graduates of the orphanage.

One girl said she thought I was Guatemalen when she saw me. The crazy earlier in the day obviously didn´t think so.

Being here eases the homesickness. I´ll be here for two weeks, with a purpose. I´m looking to meeting some of the kids tomorrow, and finding out what exactly i´ll be doing.

The ride from Flores to Rio Dulce was short...three hours. I sat in the front row, listening to my Ipod most of the way. Lots of Radiohead and Chili Peppers, with Classic Rock and other various artists mixed in. I love music. Puts me in a good mood no matter where I am.

I know i´m jumping all over the place, but back to the hotel (although its more like a hostel..with dorm rooms); they have a great book exchange. Started a book today called Living Faith. A collection of sermons by...I forget his name now. But he gave them back in the 20´s and 30´s. Lots to think about.

As always, hope all is well back home. Keep saving your pennies and come visit me at some point,

Love you all,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment