Wednesday, June 10, 2009


Mexico City, Mexico: This will most likely be the last blog entry from Mexico City. Tomorrow i´m meeting a few friends (Erika and Deann), who are on vacation in Mexico City. We may go to Guanajuato on Friday, and i´m going to push hard to get them to go to Guadalajara. The most beautiful girls in the world there, according to one source. But i´m going for the tacos.


This last week has been exciting, as everything in Mexico City seems to be. I went to the Musuem of Anthropology, which was very educational. It took you through the history of Mexico, beginning way back. I also had an opportunity to visit my grandma`s old church, and her old school, as well as her old home. My tio Clemente still lives there. He´s almost 80 and still works every day at his taco stand. Above is a picture of him and his assistants, which are like family, but not exactly. Of course, every one here is like family. I swear, half the people I meet "son mis primos." They´re my cousins. But that´s the way it is out here, every one treats you like family. It´s great!
Almost a month in Mexico City, and I have made some observations that either confirm or contradict stereotypes or generalizations about Mexicans. And as a Mexican myself, i´ll take poetic license to comment on them. Here are some observations, comments, facts, and myths, that i´ve learned during my time here.
PDA-ville
Everywhere you go around here, there is a couple making out or hugging as if one of them is going off to war in the morning. I mean everywhere. PDA (public display of affection) is everywhere. At the park, on the sidewalk, at the market. Parks are the worst, because they can lay down. No exagerration, every 10 feet, there´s another couple laying on top of each other. I scratched my head about it for a few days, then came up with a theory that left me satisfied. I presented it to a cousin, and he concurred. I think, because families here live together for generations, there is no privacy in the home. Thus, they´re forced to show their affection elsewhere, like in public. Or maybe, Latinos are just much more affectionate than me? Who knows, but its still weird to me everytime I see it.
Hugs
I´m not sure if you´ve noticed, but when you hug, do you lean your head to the right or to the left? I think it´s to the left. Whichever way you lean, it has to be consistent. If one leans to their left, and another to their right, you end up meeting lips. Well, this is exactly what happened to me for the first three weeks. I was so used to leaning left, that I did so, but everyone here leans right, so, awkwardly, we were face to face, bobbing are heads trying to figure it out. Of course, since I am the one visiting, I should be the one to adjust to the local norms, but after years of hugging the wrong way, it was hard to change. lol. But I think i´ve finally got it. And everyone you meet here, you greet with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Not something that is completely foreign to me, so I did not mind at all, just had to remember to lean right.
Mexicans love Corona
Gotta say this is a false stereotype. There is a preconceived notion that the beer of choice for Mexicans is Corona. Well at least in Mexico City, this is not true. I rarely see anyone with a Corona. I´ve seen more Bud Light than Corona. Beer of choice here seems to be Indio, or Barrecilito (sp).
Mexicans love Tequila
True. No doubt about it. Young, old, saint, sinner...everyone in Mexico City drinks tequila. Of course some drink in excess, and some take a shot after a heavy meal to settle their stomachs, but almost everyone drinks it. They literally give it away. It´s like ordering water.
Cars
8 Mexicans in a car that seats 5! We´ve all heard the stereotype. Well I lived it. A Jetta that sits three in the back, uncomfortably, with six people! Luck for me I had window! Or a minivan that could possibly squeeze in 8, with 13! It´s true, Mexicans make use of all the space in a car. Some ideas why? Well, for one, not everyone has a car. Two, with traffic being like it is, it´s more effecient. And maybe because there are no strict seat belt laws. And baby seats are not required. I´ve seen 5 year olds in baby seats back home. I think here, they would think that is ridiculous. Two year olds sit on their moms lap. Things are just different here.
Religion
Religion plays a big part in Mexico. Although Mexico has no official religion, close to 90% of the population is Catholic, and it´s quite evident. Shrines to the Virgin, Rosaries, and signs of the Crucifix, are everywhere. But there is a growing number of Protestants in the country.


I had an opportunity to visit my grandma´s first church, and there were people standing on the sides, the church was so packed. Standing room only. It was a great message, about the Holy Spirit, and why it was given, so that we could love each other, and help those in need. So much emphasis is put on speaking in tongues, that we forget that after the day of Pentecost, most of the book of Acts is about people giving. Some even sold their homes so the needy could have their needs met. There is no ¨Prosperity Gospel¨ here. People don´t pray for a new car, or nicer house, they pray for the bare necessities. There is a real genuine purity to it. True humility.


Above is the entrance to my grandm´s old church. My cousin is in the doorway.



Painting above: The Spainards, nicely introducing the indigenous Mexicans to their religion. Baptism. Oh, those soldiers with spears, they´re just for decoration.
Below: My grandma´s church. Three hour service! But, most of it is prayer. Lots of emphasis on prayer in churches here.



Other things I observed and learned while in Mexico include the love people have for their country. Most people here are happy and have no desire to visit the U.S., much less live there. Como mi Mexico, no hay dos! That´s what they say. And life here is great!
Though there are people who would do anything for the opportunities we have back home. One man in particular, asked me, very sincerely, if there was anything I could do to help him get to the U.S. Of course there really wasn´t anything I could do. But he said he would do anything to be able to go and work in the U.S. That left me a bit sad, but also resolved to get back and not squander the opportunities I´ve been given. Of course, after my trip! We are truly blessed to live in a country like the U.S. I believe that will become more apparent as I head south into the America´s. Please don´t take any day for granted. Seize it, and make the best of it.

After Mexico City, the real trip starts, alone! Monday, the 15th of June I leave Mexico City and head to Palenque, in Chiapas. I´ll be on an ADO Bus, Mexico´s version of Greyhound. The bus is due to arrive in Palenque at 7am, Tuesday morning. I´ll do everything I can to make contact from there.
Someone please do me a favor and call my grandma, and let her know i´m ok, and tell her I love her. She´s upset that I don´t call, but I don´t have a phone. Internet is my only source of communication.
Love you mom, love you family, and friends...
I miss you all, love you all!
-Michael



No comments:

Post a Comment