Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Palenque, Mexico: After a 14 hour bus ride, I arrived in Palenque, close to the Palenque ruins. Google for pictures, i will post mine whenever possible. This computer won´t let me.

Left Mexico City at 6pm, my cousin Moy took me to the airport. Gracias! It was a bit sad. After a month in Mexico City, I had become very attached to my family in Mexico.

Today marked the first day...alone. As Charles Dickens put it, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Close to being the happiest day of my life, traveling the Americas; and yet feeling so alone at times, and wishing one of my buddies or cousins were here with me.

But that´s what I bargained for, I guess.

The Palenque ruins were amazing! I can´t wait until I can upload the pictures. Much more amazing than the other ruins.

I´m staying at the Yaxkin hostel. The rooms are okay. I took a freezing cold shower at about 6pm, it felt great! The humidity is at about 110%. It´s awful! I stunk worse than anything today. Not my fault! And I think Guatemala is more of the same.

Met a girl named Miriam, who works at the hostel. This time, she´s from L.A. She´s been here for about two months. A long story, having to do with her baby, and her baby´s dad. She´s dying to go back, but can´t. I told her I would pray that she finds a way back home, with her baby. She extremely nice.

I had dinner at a local restaurant. Milanesa and papas. It was good!

After dinner had my life threatened. Well not really, but really. A little kid walked up to me and asked me for money. When I nodded no, he made the international gun symbol with his hands and repeated with a straight face, "te mato, te mato". I gave him a look and he left. He was about 11. I felt awful for him. Something tells me if something or someone does not intervene, he will make true on his threats someday.

Heading off to Guatemala in the morning. My first border crossing. Two buses, and a boat! Should be exciting. My internet time is limited here, so gotta run.

Mom, I love you!

Mare, I love you!

Family, I love you!

Friends, I love you guys!

Obviously a bit setimental at this point. lol.

But, having a great time!

Thanks for all the prayers, and stay tuned for photos!

-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment