Wednesday, May 20, 2009

WEEK ONE: MEXICO CITY
















Mexico City, Mexico: Week one is in the books. You wait and wait for a trip and once it´s here, it seems to fly by. It´s been a quick first week. Here´s a recap of my week.

Monday
Arrived...late. My cousin Moy and his family picked us up from the airport. Went to eat, then
to my tia Concha´s (my grandma´s sister) house. Overwhelmed by the amount of family I was introduced to the first night, and my spanish was horrible! Did a lot of smiling and nodding!

Tuesday
Woke up late, went to the park and exercised. Wasn´t quite used to the elevation. Mexico City is 1.4 miles above sea level. In comparison, Denver is one mile (hence the name, Mile High City). I remember huffing and puffing in Denver just going for a walk. It´s tougher here. I realized it quickly. Stayed at my tia Concha´s house.

Wednesday
Went to the park, again. Walked around the neighborhood. Nothing too exciting. Getting acclimated.

Thursday
Skipped the park today. Forgot what I did today.

Friday
Went to the Zocalo. Really cool place in the center of the city. Took the bus and subway there. Very calm, absolutely no problems.

Saturday
Went back to the Zocalo, this time with my cousins. Took a tour of Mexico City on one of those red double decker buses. Great idea! It took over five hours, but we saw the whole city. My favorite spot was Polanco (sp). It´s just like Rodeo Drive, with smug people and all. But very nice neighborhood.

Sunday
Went to church in the morning. Very old school church, women can´t wear pants, earrings, etc, etc. Went about town at night with my cousin Julio.

Monday
Took a salsa class at the local community center, called Casa de Cultura. A lady asked me where I was from. I said Los Angeles. She said she could tell by my accent and "ritmo". Apparently I didn´t have enough rythmn for her. I´m going back today, so hopefully I won´t disappoint her this time.

Tuesday
My cousin Julio took me to the castle at Chapultepec. Very nice view of the city. I have to post pics soon. I may have figured out how to do it, but it will take me forever. I may gain the motivation and do it soon.

My spanish is improving. I think within a month I should be ready to tackle Central America.

I´m off to salsa class. It´s fun, because they also teach you other dances. They even teach you how to dance Nortenas. It´s funny. But fun.

I´ve already been invited to a local party to try out my dance moves. We´ll see if I go, for the cultural experience, of course!

Hope all is well back home, and thank you to everyone who responded with regards to the orphanage in Guatemala.

The easiest way to donate would be through their website: http://www.casa-guatemala.org/donate.php

If you prefer, you can give the money to my brother, and he'll get it to me, and i´ll make sure it reaches the orphanage.



Miss you all,

Michael

3 comments:

  1. Wow, a new and improved Michael who can speak decent Spanish and actually knows how to dance. I never thought I'd see the day. The city looks awesome.

    I got your email. Send me the address where you want the shades sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Sounds like your adjusting well... did you feel the earthquake over there? We had a couple this past week too.
    We really enjoyed the pictures, what a beautiful place. I hope one day Isaiah will be able to see and experience the city like u have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael

    I am glad you are settling in. Sounds like you are acclimating nicely. Good luck with your Spanish - I am certain you will be just fine. Praying for you here in SoCal. Blessings from all of us. John Tumminello and family....

    ReplyDelete