Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mexico City, Mexico: Still in Mexico City, and loving it! My grandma left last Thursday, but I still very much feel like i´m with family. I´m staying with my tia Goyeez, and I think i´ll be staying here for the remainder of my stay in Mexico City. I have not eaten this well, I guess, ever. Every meal is like a feast. I over did it last weekend, and went to bed with a stomach ache Sunday night. Since then, i´ve been trying to take it easy.

My main objectives in Mexico City were to meet my grandma´s side of the family and improve my spanish. I think both are being accomplished. As an added bonus, i´m reaching a comfort level with salsa! I´ve been taking classes, and went out Friday night with my cousin. The girls here are nice about teaching a novice. One girl even said I was a "good" salsa dancer. She wouldn´t lie, would she?

Above is a picture of my grandma´s dad, my great grandfather. It´s a picture of a picture, he died long ago. I think I got his ears, as you can see below. Below is also my grandma´s oldest brother, Clemente. This picture was taking at a taco stand that he still runs. He´s in his 80´s. And his tacos are delicious. There´s at least three places in the city where I can go and eat for free. My family has food stations around the city. But I prefer to stay home and eat my tia Goyeez food. Can´t say enough about the food here.




Above is a picture of Mexico City, and one of the most famous streets here. If you look closely, you can see the Angel de la Independencia (Angel of Independence). It´s one of the most recognizable landmarks in Mexico City, built by Porfirio Diaz.
The little guy below is one of my little cousins. He live with my tia Goyeez, with his mom and dad, and two older brothers (also my cousins). There´s a total of 8 people in the house, besides me. As is common in Mexico, the whole family lives together. Sometimes, even after the kids are married and have kids. But everyone gets along fine, and there´s plenty of room for everyone. Mexicans are definitely more family oriented. Which has not come as a surprise to me. It´s nice to see.





I´ve finally figured out how to post pictures, quickly. My camera is 10 megapixels, which is too much for my needs, and too big to download on most websites. I didn´t know. But if I shrink them, they fit. So more pictures should be forthcoming.
Hope everyone is well back home. I do miss home. Homesickness comes and goes. Sunday may have been the worst, since i´m used to seeing my family and friends on that day. But, as they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. (that is what they say, right?)
Love you all,
Michael











2 comments:

  1. Michael

    Hope all is well - I am keeping you in my prayers.

    Stay well - John and Vanessa

    btw - we will be sending some $ to the orphanage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John! I appreciate the prayers. Mexico City is great! But itching to get going on the rest of the trip as well! Hope all is well, please say hello to your family for me. I´m sure little Nick is getting big!

    ReplyDelete