Monday, September 28, 2009

Quito, Ecuador: Just got to Quito, and must say it feels good. I don´t know why, but I feel like i´m safe here. Not that I plan to put my guard down, or that it is actually safer here than in Colombia, but feel like I can breathe a bit easier. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my uncle was here a few months ago. I feel like he scoped out the place for me! lol.

I also have some contacts here that I hope to connect with. It always make the trip easier. Thanks, aunt Yvonne!

But Colombia was great! After the whole incident, things calmed down. Enjoyed Bogota, and had a good time in Cali. Of course, all too short. I needed a few more days in each city, but i´m in a bit of a time crunch.

Stayed an extra day in Bogota, at the recommendation of a few friends. By the way, thanks for all the insight, Andrea and Jason!

Visited Zona Rosa, or Zona T, which was cool. Parque 93, and Alex Campos Church. He wasnt there. Bogota also had great museums, and a great cultural vibe. Saw someone getting beat with a stick just outside the hostel on the next to the last day, but turned out he was a thief. Crazy town, but just like any other capital city. It has it all.

While in Cali, we met up with a friend we met while in Pamama City. Joe let us stay at his place for a few nights! He´s from England, but teaches english in Cali. Thanks, Joe and Karla!

Its always great to be with someone who lives in town.

Cali is hot, so one day we went to a public pool. We stayed in the water for a grand total of 10 minutes, but it was worth the trip. Also visited a mall called Chipechape. Known as Sillicon Valley, because of all the plastic surgery the ladies who visit the mall get. It is pretty obvious.

Cali is known for Salsa, but I have a feeling we did not see the best of Cali, as far as Salsa goes. I only went out one night, so im sure the place I went to was not a good representation of Cali Salsa. But one girl did tell me I was a pretty good dancer. I´ll put that on my resume, girl from Cali said I was a good dancer! lol.

Took a night bus to Ecuador. 11 hours to the border, which was an experience. All border crossings are fun. Got to be on your toes the entire time. Everyones out to get a buck. I remember Panama crossing from Costa Rica. If youre not careful, you can really be taken to the cleaners.

Same at the Colombia-Ecuador border. Money changers everywhere! And others letting you know they can do the immigration procedure for you. What they really want is your passport so they can charge you to get it back. Yes, some people are dumb enough to give it to them. But, common sense tells you who and who not to trust. Just annoying that you have to be looking out for yourself so much.

But then there are the good folks who make the crossing pleasant. They´ll help you with directions, or suggest a cheaper form of transportion. The crossing was hectic, but fine.

From the border, there is another bus to Quito, 5 hours. Except ours took a little longer because some folks tried to block the roads. I´ve heard about this happening in Peru, but never here, but I guess its common in all of South America. Just folks trying to have their voices heard, so they create road blocks to stop traffic to draw attention to their cause. Usually has to do with elements of fairnes and justice. Didn´t get the whole story, but had something to do with access to water. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they were unsuccessful. They delayed our trip, but did not manage to block the road. I hope if its justice they seek, it´s justice they get. It was obviously a poorer area of the country we were driving by.

Arrived in Quito about 5pm, headed to a hostel, but not sure I will stay there long. Probably off to another tomorrow. Also plan to check out Middle of the World tomorrow.

Hope all is well at home.

Love you all!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment