Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bogota, Colombia: Arrived in Bogota last night after a 10 hour bus ride. Left Medellin, which I regret greatly at this point. More on that later. But first have to get the frustration off my chest!

Not so much frustration as shocked! We get to the bus terminal at 10pm. Late, but everything had been going so well, that I wasn't too worried. Every capital city can be rough, but after visiting Mexico City, San Salvador, Managua, Guatemala City, I figured this couldn't be too bad. I had no idea where we were going, but after being shut out of two hostels in Medellin, I did not want to risk not finding a place this late at night.

So I tell the taxi guy to take us to Hotel San Sebastian. Its a bit pricey according to the Lonely Planet travel guide, but I figured they would have rooms available. They did. But even more expensive than I expected. I was with Cindy, and we had all our stuff with us, so I knew walking downtown Bogota with all of our stuff was a bad idea. I told her to stay in the hotel lobby, and I would look for a better budget option. Walked about a block and a half and felt uneasy about continuing. Call it a 6th sense, common sense, or the Holy Spirit, but I didnt continue.

But at the same time i'm thinking, there is plenty of people out right now, it cant be so bad. I'm basically walking in circles when I run into three english speaking guys, and think, they must know where a hostel is near by.

I approach them, and ask where they're staying. Turns out their hostel has no beds available, but there is another just down the road. They're headed that way, so I follow. Its about 12:15am at this point.

We walk up a side street, no street lights, when out of nowhere we're ambushed by at least four guys. I'm walking behind the three guys I met, and see one of them getting punched in the head, and another "thug" running up. So i'm bracing myself for someone to attack me. I'm in defense mode waiting for something to happen. I cant tell who's who, I reach to see if my camera is still in my pocket..it is. I feel to check if my wallet is still in pocket; it is. I hear one of the guys yell, "run." I do. I look back to see if anyone is chasing us, but he yells again, keep running! So I do. He's way ahead of me, he has long legs, but im thinking, what about your friends? His friend was the one I saw get punched in the back of the head.

I take off back to the hotel where I left Cindy, huffing and puffing. Cindy freaks out, I forget all my spanish, so I tell Cindy to tell the receptionist to lock the front door. He does. Eventually I go back outside to see if the guys are still out there. Turns out one of the guys was stabbed and bleeding, and the other was just punched a few times.

Oddly enough, they came from behind and completely skipped me. I should have been the first person they attacked, but they didnt even touch me. But it still shook me up. I put the dresser in front of the door before I went to bed. Worst hotel ever, by the way. I finally used my own sheets that I brought in case I found myself in a roach motel. The day finally came when I had to use it.

So fairly or unfairly, I hate Bogota! I want to leave, today! But I know that I should probably calm down first. Maybe just leave this area. Although its supposed to be a touristy area. I guess no where is safe at night. Just feel kind of home sick after that.

Its tough when there is no one to look out for you. When you have to be on your toes 24/7. No breaks. You have to plan everything, and be your own bodyguard. And sometimes look out for others. Its all taking a toll.

Yesterday could have been bad. I had my wallet with my credit cards in them, and my camera. Apparently at least one of them had a knife. But I do know that there are plenty of people praying for me, and I do appreciate that. I can still stay, so far so good. No one has robbed me, yet.

Last night was almost surreal. Seeing three guys get jumped by four guys. No one daring to bother me. Why? I´ll never know. I just thank God nothing happened to me, and hope those guys are ok. But still don't like it here.

Even folks from Medellin and Cartagena say Bogota is not as nice as the rest of Colombia, and neither are the people. I think its unfair to overgeneralize, but so far that has been my experience. But of course were talking about 12 hours in the city.

Medellin on the other hand, was amazing. Downtown, though tough, brought us no problems. People are very friendly. When we finally left downtown for a nicer part of the city, near Parque Lleras, it was even nicer. I regret leaving, but we were scheduled to pick someone up from the airport today. We did.

Still a bit shaken up. But i'll live. Cant wait for my brother to get here, in about three weeks.

Please don't tell my grandma about this, she'll be worried! lol. Really though, don't tell her. And dont worry mom, its not as bad as it seems. Just shook me up, that's all.

Check out the pictures of Medellin on FB, i'll post more soon.

As always, thanks for the prayers.

I miss you all

Love,

Michael

2 comments:

  1. Michael I'm SO sorry that happened to you! how scary!! I would be upset too. But don't leave yet, get your bearings and get in touch with my cousins. go see la catedral de sal. have some ajiaco. buy some emeralds!! bogota can be a crazy but fun city. and, in case no one told you, wear layers and a jacket. it gets cold almost every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael

    I am sorry about your scare in Bogota! I need to double up on my prayers for you - it seems as if God has you squarely in his sights, but please follow your instincts - or as you say more appropriately, the promptings of the Holy Spirit - nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete