Saturday, July 25, 2009

San Salvador, El Salvador: Still in El Salvador, waiting on Zelaya to make his move. If you've followed at all what has been going on in Honduras, you know that he is attempting to return to Honduras after being taken from his Presidential Palace at gun point. He's re-entering via Nicaragua, so border crossing until he makes his final move, is ill-advised.

His return could spark violence. There is a curfew in Honduras, and getting to Nicaragua from El Salvador requires going through Honduras. I'm sitting tight for now, but will make my decision by Sunday, if Zelaya keeps messing around. I think he's making a mockery of himself by pretending to return, then retreating. No one is taking him seriously. And it doesn't help that he aligns himself with Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

But mockery or not, his presence could incite a mini civil war and I don't want to be around when that happens, or if it happens.

My final thoughts on El Salvador, since i'm still here: I loved it!

Truth is I saw about 1% of the country, well maybe 5%, it is a small country. But everything I saw and experienced was amazing. I've already written about La Casa, (see last blog), but the rest of the country was also a treat! The people of El Salvador are terrific.

I spent most of my time in San Salvador, the capital, and you would think you're in a big U.S. city by driving around. KFC, Burger King, McDonalds. And huge entertainment centers with world class shopping and theatres, bars, restaurants.

But of course, there are the rural and urban areas where poverty is prevalent. With a new President things are bound to change. Hopefully for the better. Speaking to one local, the problem is the government is broke. There is no money for improvements. Sound familiar? Today California finally signed a budget, and it appears that everyone is going to take a cut. We're broke as well.

One of the things that is often spoken about when discussing El Salvador are the Maras, or gaings. Specifically MS13. While they do exist, they are not visible in the capital. I saw them once, but we were on a field visit in a rural area. They are not as abundant as the media would make it seem. The city is safe. I took a taxi at one in the morning and never felt in danger.

Spanish here is different than Mexico. Everyone uses "voz", and I never really picked up how to use it. So I didn't. I learned a few new phrases. But they may be exclusive to La Casa. They had their own vocabulary there, it was funny.

All in all, a great experience here. Definitely too short. I'm positive i'll be back, and I think sooner rather than later.

Hope everything is well at home. Miss my family and friends, but truly having the time of my life out here.

Right now i'm at Kurt's house, he and his family have been wonderful hosts for a week! Their moving today, so I should help. Gotta go.

Love you all,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment