Sunday, July 19, 2009

San Salvador, El Salvador: Favorite city, so far! I love San Salvador, the capital of El Salvador. Where do I start? Where did I end? Let's see. Arrived here on Thursday, the 9th, in the afternoon. It was pouring rain, and I had forgotten to write down my hotels address. What a dope! So I go to the bus station and ask to use the internet. No luck. No one would let me use their computer. Finally got a cab, and asked if they knew where the Hotel San Mateo was located, and of course they said yes. What I would learn later is that a taxi guy will never tell you he is not familiar with the location you're trying to get to. They will always assure you that they know exactly how to get there.

Half hour later we arrived at my hotel that was ten minutes away from the bus station. But apparently they were overbooked, so they sent me to another hotel. I spent my first week in San Salvador at Villa Serena Hotel, my first proper hotel during the trip. I asked for a single room, but was given a double, with two beds, its own bathroom (which is a luxury when "backpacking"), and a tv, and a fully functioning air conditioner!

The second bed came in handy when a few friends crashed one night. Actually they crashed twice. But it was nice to see them. The hotel offered breakfast for free, and was extremely secure, but otherwise, it was just ok.

It served its purpose, a place to sleep, and close proximity to La Casa de mi Padre, where I am volunteering for the length of my time here in San Salvador.

Friday, the 10th, was the first day at the La Casa. It was a great first day! I arrived at 2pm, and was a given a quick tour of the home, and then had an hour introduction to what the children's home is all about. More on that later.

The director, Gary Powell, (more on him later, as well), then took me and a group from Georgia, on a tour of new land that was purchased to build a permanent center for the kids. The land is just jungle for now, with a prayer chapel at the entrance. Soon it will house close to 90 kids, and maintain a school, and housing for staff and volunteers.

Currently, La Casa is located in a house that is home to 37 kids. I will write much more on the program later, but now i'll just update on what i've been doing.

Saturday and Sunday was spent at a beach house, that was offered by a really nice guy. The kids loved it. There are pictures on facebook.

Monday was the first day at La Casa. I spent the first part of the day with the youth group from Georgia, fixing, or trying to fix the water drains, that were plugged. The second part of the day was spent with the kids, helping them with their homework, and playing.

Monday night I got back to the hotel, and did nothing!

Tuesday I helped the group pour concrete at La Casa. The afternoon was spent with the kids. Wednesday was the same schedule.

Wednesday night, Raquel took me to eat Pupusas, the traditional food in El Salvador. It was delicious. We also had other typical food. It was all really good!

Wait, i'm getting my days mixed up. I think it was Tuesday that I went to eat typical El Salvadorean food, and Wednesday, Cindy and Clarrissa came to visit me. They're going to kill me for telling this story, but it's hilarious. At least it was to me.

We went out, at night, in El Salvador, and it was very safe. We went to a place called Multi-Plaza, that has a few places to go out. The girls were told it was lady's night, and a place called Stanza was a cool place to go dancing. So they get dressed up, and drag me out. I wasn't in the mood to go out, but I went. The place was like any other club in L.A. Door man with a suit, who decides who gets in and who doesn't. Of course these girls from the States think they'll waltz right in to a club in El Salvador! So we walk up, and I let them know that they should do the talking, since it was "Lady's Night", and they were ladies. We walk up to one of the promoters, and ask what the story was for that night. He let them know that it was member's only! Member's only? What? I convinced them that it wasn't worth it, so we went to a spot with a live band, playing great covers. An hour later, the band stop playing, and they decided to give the club another shot.

We walk up, but first ask a local what members only meant? He let us know that anyone could get in, it was just a matter of paying a 10 dollar cover. So they get in line again, and get to the front, where the door man let's them know that it's members only, and they weren't getting in. I was cracking up! And of course by then they knew that it wasn't members only, it was just that they did want their kind in their club.

It was funny to me because i'm sure these girls were never rejected from a club in the U.S. And under normal circumstances they would not have been rejected from this club. But they are backpackers, meaning they didn't exactly bring clothes for going out. And on this particular night, they kind of stretched the whole "casual" look. I don't know why, but seeing them (and I should say us, because I was there as well), rejected, was hilarious to me.

Thursday I went with the group from Georgia, and Kurt, a missionary here in El Salvador, to ancient ruins. After seeing Palenque and Tikal, these were just ok. We also went to a small colonial town, and visited a family that La Casa built a house for a few months ago.

Friday we were back at La Casa with the kids

Saturday was visiting day at La Casa, and today, Sunday I went to church.

I'll have a lot more to say about La Casa in the next blog, but my internet time is almost up.

No time to edit, so please excuse errors in writing.

Love you all,

Michael

1 comment:

  1. Michael - OMG - I finally found out how to post a comment today - I have been keeping up with your blog on a daily basis - I am so proud of U! BTW I donated some money a while back to the orphanage when you reuqested it. Are U having a good time? Is you world opeing up? I wish I was there - Love - Carol D

    ReplyDelete