Wednesday, April 29, 2009

YOU CAN GET KILLED WALKING YOUR DOGGIE!!!


Santa Monica, CA: Fans of the movie Heat will know exactly where the title comes from. LAPD officer Vincent Hanna, played by Al Pacino, is looking for information about a big criminal bank hit. He looks for answers from an informant named Richard. Richard is freaking out about giving him the information, but feels he has to.

RICHARD: Man, I can get killed for telling you some of this stuff.
VINCENT HANNA: You can get killed walking your doggie! (yelling, in the loud Al Pacino tone).

I've been on top of the latest concerning the "swine flu outbreak" since it was first reported. I dare say i've read and researched more about it than anyone reading this blog. One, because I have more time on my hands, and two, because it's of great interest to me at this time.

Travel to Mexico has been outright banned by Cuba and Argentina. The European Union and Canada are strongly discouraging travellers from heading to Mexico. The U.S. is advising travellers to avoid "non-essential" trips to Mexico.

But let's look at the facts.

As of this writing there have been 159 deaths related to swine flu in Mexico. Mexico's health secretary, Jose Cordova, late Tuesday called the death toll there "more or less stable."

There are a approximately 2,000 documented cases of swine flu in Mexico.

Mexico City is the second largest city in the world. Greater Mexico City has a population of approximately 22 million people. It is very overcrowded.

Mexico as a country has approximately 120million people within its borders.

Now divide 159 by 120 million, and you'll get the probability of anyone dying from the swine flu virus in Mexico.

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning, getting hit by a car, getting into a car accident of any kind, or getting killed walking your doggie!

You should also know that approximately 36,000 people die from the flu every year, and that's just in the U.S. (source: CDC website).

The World Health Organization has raised its alert level, but has not called for travel restrictions or border closures.

My point is, I know the virus is real, and precautions should be taken. But is the news capitalizing on fear? What do you think? Especially channels 9, 11, and 13 in Los Angeles. Although 2, 4, 5 and 7 aren't much better. You'll get more factual information on TMZ than those local news channels. They are more or less tabloid shows at this point.

159 deaths is nothing to sneeze at, no pun intended. It's sad and tragic when anyone dies of a disease. But there are precautions that can be taken to minimize your chances of contracting the virus. Wash your hands, wear the Michael Jackson mask, and don't put your fingers in your mouth. Do you ever notice how many times your hands are in or near your mouth. Or your ears or nose? Take a look at the guy next to you, next time you're driving down the road. Chances are at a stop light he'll have his hands near his face. One, that's disgusting, and two, that's how you risk contracting a flu virus.

Right now in Mexico City, everyone is on high alert. Washing their hands, wearing protective masks, and going to the hospital at any sign of flu-like symptoms. I won't claim there is no risk in going, but as of today, I have no plans of revising my travel itinerary.

The World Health Organization has raised its alert level, but has not called for travel restrictions or border closures. I trust WHO more than I trust the judgment of Cuba, or Argentina.

So unless you know something I don't...and remember I read updates every hour on this, then just pray for me, because i'm going. If you tell me how dangerous it is out there, without any new information, i'll tell you the same thing Vincent Hanna told Richard...you can get killed walking... well you get it.

That being said, thank you to all who have shown genuine concern. I would never do anything to jeopordize my life unnecessarily. If you know me, you know I am very risk averse. I have never broken a bone in my body, even as a kid, because I would never stretch myself to the limit. I always played it safe. This is no different. Right now, with all the information we have, going to Mexico City on May 11th is ok. Precautions must be taken, but there is no need for panic. The one thing spreading faster than the swine flu, is the hysteria created by the news trying to attract viewers. We sure do love a good scare, don't we.

1 comment:

  1. Two blogs before you started "soap-boxing". Anyhow, you meant well but you can't help being YOU. Your blogs are a great read, I can't wait till you have something to really talk about. Panic at the Dico and "Slick" are fun to talk about but the "Trip of a life time" that's the ticket. Remember, "By the time I get to Phoenix she'll be rise'n', she'll probably leave a note right on the door."

    ReplyDelete