Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15, 2010: In Rio de Janeiro! Known as the Cidade Maravilhosa...the marvelous city! And with good reason. Have only been here one fully day, but already can sense the vibe out here. Post 9 in Ipanema is where we hung out yesterday. Every post seems to have a distinct group. Not all, but I think most. Post 9 is a more young crowd, whereas other posts have a family crowd. The beach itself is just ok, but its the people that make it what it is. And the surrounding landscape. Imagine laying on the beach with the Sugar Loaf in the distance. I havent taken many pictures, but I will soon.

I have a buddy flying in today, so I dont want to see too much of the city until he gets here. Soon enough, though.

Before Rio I was at the most beautiful island in Brasil. Well, that according to most, and I would have to agree. Ilha Grande is about 150 Km from Rio, South of Rio. They work in Km here, so not sure how many miles. But the island was amazing. I could say it about almost every place ive visited, but it was true again, just didnt have enough time there. I wish I could have stayed another week. We went on a great hike one of the days through the island and to 4 beaches, finally ending at Lopes Mendes beach, which was the most popular, but not nearly the nicest. There were some secluded beaches that were absolutely amazing.

Before Ilha Grande I was in Paraty. Another beautiful coastal town. Its tough to always remember to appreciate what your doing out here. Travelling from beautiful beach to beautiful beach in Brazil. But Paraty was really nice. I have pics up on Facebook. We took a boat ride to various islands one day, and walked around the Centro another day. The town is great.

And before that I was in Florionopolis. I think its an island, but not sure. There is a Lagun in the middle, but im pretty sure its surrounded by water. I have to go back and check. But, again, it was beautiful. The last four hostels ive stayed in have all been ocean front. Really nice as well.

I think before that I was in Iguazu Falls, which ive written about.

So this is it. Nearing the end of my South American tour! I cant talk about favorites, because everywhere I went I enjoyed for one reason or another. But because im in Brazil, I can say, this was a great place to end.

I fly to El Salvador on the 25th of this month, and hope to visit the orphanage, before I head to Belize. It sounds horrible, but im not really that excited about Belize. Its almost like im forcing myself to go, and convincing myself that its on the way to Mexico, so it wont be that bad. I have to again remind myself to appreciate every part of this great tour.

But after Belize I head to Mexico for three months, which im really looking forward to! I plan to see most of the major cities, lots of beaches, and then stay in Guadalajara for 6 weeks and take an intensive advanced spanish course. College level. We'll see how I do. My blogs those weeks will be in spanish. I cant wait to get to Mexico. I actually had a dream about it the other night.

But, since we must live in the moment, ill enjoy Rio today. (shouldnt be hard to do). My buddy gets here in about three hours, and im pretty excited about it. Its like when my brother came. Always good to get a visit from a good friend. We will be in Rio for a few days, then fly to the Amazon for five days, return to Rio for the weekend, and he will head home, and ill head to El Salvador, which is the beginning of my journey home.

So there it is. About 8 months into the trip! Wow, what an advernture. Hope everyone is well back home. Haiti is in my prayers. Just read a little about it the other day. It sounds bad.

On a lighter note, also read that Carroll left USC for the pros, and Kiffin is taking over. I laughed when I read that. I used to think Garrett was a good Athletic Director, now I know he has no clue what hes doing and just got lucky with Carroll. The basketball program is in shables, and now this. Tough times for USC fans...haahaaaa. Go Bruins! (had to get that in).

Love you all

Love you mom,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment