Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Buenos Aires, Argentina: Wow! I guess I have to start there. I don´t know if it has to do with the time of year, but the people here are incredibly nice. Very hospitable, going out of their way to make sure you have a good time here. People who minutes before were complete strangers, invite me to Christmas dinner. This has happened multiple times. I haven´t spent a dime on accomodations for the last four nights. They insist I stay with them. So i must say, the people in Buenos Aires have been the kindest of all the people i´ve met. Not sure if its was just luck running into the right people, or everyone being in the Christmas spirit, but its going to be tough to leave this place.

Although i did manage to escape once for three days and head to Mar del Plata. Its their coastal getaway town. Very nice beaches, reminded me of Miami. As I always say, check out the pics. Except you may have to wait, because although this is one of the coolest cities i´ve been to, the internet service is horrible! At least thats been my experience. Well, at least uploading photos is difficult.

I think its three days until Christmas, but it really does not feel like it. I can´t say i´m looking forward to some time off, because ive been off for about 6 months! And i cant say im looking forward to being with the family, because I wont be with the family. But there is a sense of Christmas out here, at least in the commercial sense. Lots of folks out and about doing what i think we do best: shop. Lots of Christmas shopping going on. And being the scrooge that I am, ive never been fond of that part of Christmas. But i´ll find something productive to do on that day.

Can´t say enough about this city, but wait on the photos to see what its like. Ive not blogged in so long that i dont know where to begin.

Arrived in Buenos Aires right after Roasario, which I believe was the 10th or 11th? Not sure anymore. I took an overnight bus and found some girls I had met in Santiago, Chile at the bus terminal and they asked if I wanted to share a cab with them to Milhouse hostel. I said sure, and so I was on my way to Milhouse, intending to stay only three nights because I wanted to head to Mar del Plata. Three days turned in to seven, and that´s just how it is out here. There is always an invitation somewhere. The food is amazing, great steaks at great prices. Just last night I was invited to an asada, it was on someones rooftop, of their apartment building. Great views, reminded me of New York. The steak was incredible, probably the best ive ever tasted in my life!

The city never sleeps. One of my first nights here i was invited to a concert that did not end until 3am, followed by a dj playing until who knows when. I thought we were waiting for another band to come on, but at 5, I told my friends i was going to bed. I walked back and the sun came up by the time my head hit my pillow. Its like that most nights. And dinner doesn´t usually start until 11am, ending at about 1am. If you show up to a restaurant at about 9pm, youll be alone.

Which also means breakfast consists of only toast and juice or coffee. Your so full from last nights dinner, that you´re not hungry for breakfast. And its not just the youth that carry this schedule, youll see grandmas and grandpas out at all hours of the night. Walking the streets, having a coffee, or whatever else.

Ill post pics as soon as possible. Ill be here for Christmas, but then am heading to Punta del Este, Uruguay. Its said to be the St. Tropez of the south. Something like Miami, but even more exotic. The kind of place where the rich and famous go to ring in the New Year. Im not rich, nor famous, but ill be there. Ill take lots of pics.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New!

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment