Friday, November 13, 2009

Cochabamba, Bolivia: Going to go out on a limb here, and proclaim Cochambamba my favorite city thus far. I reserve the right to amend this later, but I have to say, I have not been this satisfied with a city in a long time.

Now, there is nothing special about this city, and as I have said before, not many tourist, but that may be precisely why I enjoy it so much. For one, I can´t speak english here. No one in this city speaks more than four words of english! (Of course, that´s probably not true, but its nothing like other cities i´ve visited). Which is a good thing. I have really been able to practice my spanish here.

Two, I love what i´m doing at the orphanage. I started painting today, after a long morning trying to buy paint. Finding the orphanage was an ordeal in itself. I called for directions, and really could not get them. The phone was full of static, and there really wasn´t a proper address for the place. The best info I received was: next to Imba Pollo. And that proved to be the best way to get there. Tell the taxi to take me to Imba Pollo. From there I walked around until I found it.

The next day, which was today, I got up early to buy paint. Almost three hours later I had my paint, and off to the orphanage I went. Turns out i´m not a great painter, but I get by. It took me the whole day to paint a room. I have a bit more to do tomorrow. The kids are all under 5, and can´t help me, in fact they hinder more than anything. But, I love it! They call me tio, which is funny to me, but they always ask what i´m doing. Pintando, I keep telling them over and over. But again they ask, que haces tio? Its funny, but great to have them around. Once in a while they´ll get in trouble for being in the way, but not by me.

I left the place with wet paint on the walls, I hope its still on when I get back.

I´m also splurging again, and staying in a pretty nice hotel. Hot water, cable tv, clean bed, nice view...all luxuries when ¨backpacking.¨ There´s also a gym near by, and cost only a dollar for a day pass. I had to go, since its been months since i´ve done anything that remotely resembles working out. Of course I over did it, and will pay the price tomorrow. I even did squats! (That was dumb). I probably won´t be able to walk without pain in the morning, but it was good to get some kind of workout.

And, as an added bonus, and to my surprise, there are lots of really good looking girls in Cochabamba. Everyone talks about Costa Rica, Colombia, Argentina, and yeah, i´m sure the girls are good looking there, but who would of thought Cochabamba. And i´m talking lots of good looking girls. Not that its important, but there was enough to notice. And, yeah, it makes my stay here a little nicer!

If I can find the Pac-Cotto fight tomorrow night, i´ll be even happier. I´m thinking it will be the best fight in a long, long time. I think Pacquiao will win. Though Cotto is also a great fighter. Just think in a fight like this, you also have to have a great corner. I don´t think Cotto did himself a favor by hiring a friend.

So all is well. May stay here a bit longer than expected. At least until next Tuesday.

Love you all,

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment